Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Bit on Bridal Magazines

OK, so I bought a few more this week. I was curious to see if my initial impression (that they are put together with 22 year olds in mind) was correct. In the main, I was right. Most of them really are written for much younger girls.

Take Wedding Bells, for instance. I don't need '500 pretty ideas'; I need a thousand mature ones! Really, I looked through the magazine. Not one of them was suitable.

And finding your PERFECT DRESS ... well, I've said it before ... only if you're 12!

At least it's Canadian.

I bought Brides because, what the heck, what is the most flattering dress for my figure? Hmmm ... kind of boyish with bigger breasts. The closest I could come was one for an hour glass figure (the one for a boyish figure had stuff to make the breasts look larger), mainly based in a mermade shape. What about the one I really want, with an A-line. Will that suit my figure?

At least there are budgeting ideas in this one. Haven't read them yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

I didn't actually buy this one. It's an offshoot of the previous one. I like that they do local magazines. It's much more helpful when you know the shops and services are actually accessible by car (or public transit).

But really, is this girl even 20?!!

 Today's Bride is another Canadian magazine. I'm always glad to see these, for the same reason as I like the idea of a local version of a national bridal magazine. I have a hope in hell of getting to their listed stores!

And, I might even actually have a chance at the Turqs & Caicos honeymoon. That would be awesome! Totally!!! Really, I do mean that. The Turqs & Caicos are beautiful. And they were almost a Canadian protectorate back in teh late 80s/early 90s.

But really, is the girl on the front a real human being?

THEN!! I found this one.

Elegant Wedding is based out of Toronto, which is great because I can get to all the services providers and shops quite easily. The editor has some fairly edgy ideas (read: not saccharine sweet) that are more sophisticated in nature (read: not for little girls). I'm really enjoying this one and look forward to reading more.

Only problem is that her 'real' wedding profiles are not for the faint of wallet. Not much in this magazine is. It's definitely high-end.

I might actually buy this one again!

I can't remember which magazine it was now, but I'm pretty sure it was one of the American ones. Anyway, they had a fabulous feature on flowers. Did you know that if you want a slightly out of the ordinary flower in your arrangement, one that the florist doesn't usually carry, you might end up paying more than you realize? They have to buy in some bulk, you see, and every flower they receive has to get special treatment according to its type. If you want one or two of that flower, you'll probably still pay for every one the florist had to order. This magazine suggested that since you're paying for them, take them all and use them in vases around the venue. I like that. Practical AND pretty! I'm going to double-check with my favorite florist here, however, just to make sure.

I think my post today is sounding a little bitchy. I'm sorry if it does. I'm over-worked right now. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment